Tuesday 14 July 2009

Tattered Outlaws: Braving the elements, indoors



Even though I am used to the vagaries of Irish weather, when you organise an indoor event for the middle of July, you don't expect that torrential rain will be a problem. I arrived in Skerries today to start the preparations for the opening of Tattered Outlaws of History on Thursday. When we opened the door in to the tower it was clear that the drips and dampness we'd had to contend with in the past had escalated to extensive leaks that didn't bode well for our system of electrical wiring and fancy plasma screen set up. More heavy showers are forecast for the next few days.





Fortunately, the water damage was mostly on the perimeter of the first floor, leaving the place where the screens will go relatively dry. We installed the TVs and covered them for the night with plastic shrouds. I know the electricity works so if they survive tonight, Dan and I will test them more fully tomorrow.



They keep you on your toes, these buildings. But returning to them, I feel very happy that they are part of my physical memory now. I've been rain-soaked, sunburned and wind-buffeted on them; I've rubbed my skin on their stone, slid on the tussocks of grass that have survived in their cracks. I know what the towers feel like and how they dance.

No comments: